1. Start your day off in a positive way
How often do you wake up and for a split second you will feel okay - then you lift your head up off the pillow, think about life and now you feel terrible? The best way out of this habit is to have an action list right by your bed to look at as soon as you wake up. Here is an example:
• Think of a happy memory and re-live it so that you feel the good feelings again
• Smile, stretch and take 10 deep breaths right down into your belly
• Say an affirmation 10 times
• Have a glass of lemon juice
• Take a shower and then go for a walk
These positive actions will help you get out of the habit of feeling flat and kick start your day.
Sleep is very important when you are feeling low. It is the re-set button and gives you time to process what has been going on in your dream time. Not enough sleep prevents your body from rejuvenating, and makes you feel tired throughout the day.
• Go to bed early
• Have a walk early in the evening
• Have a milky drink or chamomile tea before you go to bed
• Avoid video games, tv, movies and emotional books before you go to bed. They will stimulate your mind and trigger off emotions and fight/flight hormones
• Do a relaxation exercise
• Listen to calming/relaxing music or a visualisation CD/MP3
• Do some deep breathing into the lower abdomen whilst laying in bed
If you do not get enough sleep throughout the week, have an afternoon nap in the weekend to catch up.